XP Home - Default User Folder deleted

Fastflys 17:10 13 Aug 07

Hi all

My son has just informed me that he has deleted the Default User Folder [and sub-folders]in Documents & Settings and cleared the Recycle Bin

What is the Default User Folder used for and will it cause any problems now that it has been deleted?

The last time I used the XP recovery disk supplied with his computer and clicked on the repair option it proceeded to reinstall the whole OS programme instead. I then had to reinstall everything else so I'm not keen to go done that route again.

Help!

Thalmus 17:20 13 Aug 07

The default user profile is used when a new account is set up, so as long as you don;t need to set up any more users then it should be fine.

Although I'm not sure but i think windows would recreate the folder if it detects its missing on start up. If not you could try running the system file checker, click start > run and type "sfc /scannow"

Technotiger 17:26 13 Aug 07

Looks as if this is what you need to do ...

click here

Fastflys 12:29 14 Aug 07

My son's computer OS is Win XP Home.
My laptop's OS is Win XP Pro.

Question:

Can I copy the Default User folder from my computer and paste it in Documents & Settings in my Son's computer, replacing the Default User Folder that he deleted or is it not that simple?

FF

Technotiger 13:03 14 Aug 07

Not that simple, no two pc's are exactly the same.

Best I think, to print the details from my above link and then follow the instructions there.

Fastflys 14:25 14 Aug 07

OK and thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…