XP Home cannot store network passwords

EatSomeCheese 21:28 04 May 03

I have a new Compaq notebook running XP Home and I have found a couple of *VERY* annoying issues that might force me to upgrade to XP Pro. I move the notebook between my home network (with just a workgroup) and the network at my workplace (on a domain). I have set up all the alternate IP addresses and everything, this is fine. The problem comes when I map a network drive to access my folders at work, I have to connect as a different username and password, this is fine and I can connect the first time. But after a reboot the drives fail to connect and when I double click on them I am prompted to enter my username and password for that share (and the "remember this password" tick box is not there).
Eventually I trace this down to the fact that Microsoft has taken out the facility to store network passwords in XP Home!!! I find this astonishing as the XP tour has a whole section on Home Networking. So basically it means that I have to enter all my details for every mapped drive (about 13) every time I turn my notebook on!! A friend has a notebook with XP pro and he can go to 'Start > Control Panel > User Accounts', click on their user name and on 'Manage Network Passwords'. He can click 'Add' to just manually put in the details to have them stored, I have looked but this is unavailable in XP Home (the add button is missing). Does anyone know of a fix or anything else I can do?? Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…