XP Home - Can I change "Owner"?

FCD 11:19 31 May 04

I have just installed XP Home on friend's new self build system. The installation appeared normal with his name entered during the installation. In Control Panel - User Accounts his name appears as the computer administrator and, as expected on the Start Menu.

But,under "Documents and Settings" where I have always previously had a sub-directory with the Computer Administrator's name [I have my name on a directory on this system I am using now], I have a sub-directory called "Owner" - obviously the directory which should have the administrator's name.

I do not want to do a complete re-install but for tidiness would like to get the correct name under "Documents and Settings".

Therefore grateful if anyone can help in making the change - I assume that I have to go into the registry?

bvw in bristol 11:24 31 May 04
  Carronade 11:48 31 May 04

Thanks, bvw. I got a similar situation when I installed XP over W98 II.

FCD 12:15 31 May 04

Many thanks but unfortunately the programme has no affect. When I run it, the correct name for the registered owner is shown - if I change this name and execute the programme, the name for the computer administrator changes correctly but even after re-booting I still have the "Owner" sub-directory under documents and settings.

V grateful for any other ideas [its a very odd one, I never seen it before and must have installed XP well over 10 times on several different computers]

ste_bla 12:48 31 May 04

Prehaps go into safe mode and delete the account and create a new one with his name? or have i mis understood again..

HardChikn 13:06 31 May 04

Most probably......LOL.

wjrt 21:07 31 May 04
  woodchip 21:18 31 May 04

You need to go into the REGEDIT through Run, under EDIT in the menu you will see Find put in the box what you want to change name or other, press enter to change right click and choose modify then go to next instance in Regedit by pressing F3 until you have changed all

woodchip 21:21 31 May 04

PS make a Restore point or Backup the Registry so if you do not get it right you can revert back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…