XP home-back up available or not?

Busy 18:16 25 Apr 03

My copy of XP home does not seem to include back up,which I had thought was only on XP pro...However a letter in latest PC Advisor seems to say that back up is not installed by default but is on the XP CD.Who is right?Ive checked and it does not seem to be on my XP CD but then mine is one which is Evesham badged.

VoG™ 18:22 25 Apr 03

You should be able to install from the XP disk click here

Patr100 19:11 25 Apr 03

It's on the full retail version but Is it on all OEM versions of XP Home? I'm not sure.

soy 19:17 25 Apr 03

yes it should be on your copy. I have an Evesham badged Xp disk and have installed it before.

Open the CD> VALUEADD >MSFT > NTBACKUP

and double click 'Ntbackup.msi'.

VoG's link is very useful.

Peter E 21:36 25 Apr 03

Books and articles say there's no backup with XP Home only XP Pro. And there's no mention of a backup on the CD. But then, suddenly, there it is! But it has to be manually installed.

Is this "ntbackup" the same as that supplied with XP Pro, does anyone know?

It's on my OEM CD (Evesham).

temp003 04:51 26 Apr 03

I've read that the Automated System Recovery (ASR) disk (which replaces the Windows 2000 version of the Emergency repair disk), cannot be created in XP Home. Can't verify that because I haven't got either XP. Otherwise it should be the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…