XP Home activation

MartynHoll 11:12 27 Jan 07

I have just bought a new PC with Windows Media Centre pre-loaded. I have broken up my last PC and sold the component parts including Windows XP Home (upgrade). I have had an e-mail from the person who has bought it to tell me that he cannot activate it as Microsoft have informed him that XP has exceeded the number of activation attempts!! He should be able to ring Microsoft and inform them that it is on new hardware - any advice, please?

Ho-Lin-Sok 11:24 27 Jan 07

It may be because a different machine needs another key, this is an anti piracy mechanism. I don't know if Microsoft will provide a new key without cost all you can do is ask.

Diversion 15:40 27 Jan 07

One copy of Windows to one computer you can't use the same disk on two computers; if you have installed the disk on any other computer then you will need another operating disk for additional computers. The disk should have been handed over with the computer that it was installed on, and you do have a limited number of times that an operating system can be installed and re-activated. Then when they are used up you have to phone Microsoft to activate it each time you install, they say this is to prevent piracy which is only right.

MartynHoll 15:11 28 Jan 07

The buyer rang Microsoft and was able to activate it OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac