xp home

johnnyrocker 11:57 04 Aug 06

my son rang the other night and he appears to have lost (a) the option to switch to classic view in control panel and (b) in my pictures the copy to cd option, any suggestions before dad rides to the recue please?, i suspect the probs might be one and the same but not sure.

johnny.

rodriguez 12:04 04 Aug 06

Try putting the XP CD in and going to Start, Run and type sfc /scannow as this will usually cure most types of corruption within Windows. Not sure how these options got lost in the first place though, maybe he pressed some buttons. I have a mate who always presses buttons on his, then when it goes all crazy he gets me to put it back how it was and slips me a tenner ;-)

johnnyrocker 12:08 04 Aug 06

that is another part of the prob, he has no disk it was all pre installed and i am pretty sure my xp pro wont be of any use.

johnny.

mattyc_92 12:44 04 Aug 06

He can use any WinXP installation disc for the "sfc /scannow" command (but I think it has to be the same edition, so if he has XP Home installed, you can't use a XP Pro disc but I am not sure)

johnnyrocker 12:48 04 Aug 06

that is what i suspect.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 13:34 04 Aug 06

^

johnny.

woodchip 13:44 04 Aug 06

What about System Restore??? if he gets it back It would be a good IDEA to use Acronis and Make a Image or Images of the Partitions before it's too late

johnnyrocker 13:47 04 Aug 06

not really an option as he informs me this happened some time ago and would lose too much stuff ( progs etc)
but thanks.

johnny.

rawprawn 14:02 04 Aug 06

I think you can use XP Pro on XP Home, but not the other way round. I'm not certain but there is no harm trying.

johnnyrocker 14:05 04 Aug 06

cheers, looks like i might have to if no other ideas come up, but the last thing i want to do is screw his machine i would never live it down;)

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:29 04 Aug 06

If XP pre installed there should be a folder on the hard drive i386, you can make scannow look for that folder
sfc /scannow problems
click here

To switch to classic view Start - settings - Taskbar and start menu - click start menu - Apply

He may have lost the recording option for the CD drive
My computer - right click CD drive -properties - recording tab - Enable recording on the drive...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017