XP help and support does not work

john-231489 23:37 31 Oct 04

When I click on help and support I get an error message syaing that it is disabled in services However it does not appear at all in the services box

hugh-265156 23:43 31 Oct 04

i am not sure to be honest.

the only thing i can think of is to check 'start/run' type 'msconfig' click ok then click the 'enable all' tab here and restart.

when you restart windows tick the 'dont show again box in the message that pops up and then go back to your administrative tools/services and check that its listed and either set to auto or manual. if set as manual if will only start when you request it.

hugh-265156 23:45 31 Oct 04

sorry i ment to say

'check 'start/run' type 'msconfig' click ok then click the services tab and click 'enable all' tab here and restart.

JIM 00:07 01 Nov 04

Try re-registering Help and Support.

Go to start, Run, type in "helpctr -regserver" without the quotes then click ok.

Try reinstall of Help and Support if the above fails you.

Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf.

Right click and choose install. Have your CD handy.

Reminder!!!!!!!! that the,

C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in control folders. View, show hidden files and folders and uncheck hide extensions for known file types.Reverse later.

john-231489 09:24 01 Nov 04

Thanks Huggy71 and Jim.

I have tried all you suggest but still am unable to get it to work. It is not listed in the services box.

When I tried to reload it Jim, following your instructions to the letter, it just hangs at the box which asks for the loaction where it is to be downloaded from. I put XP disk in drive E and F but windows will not access it.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Kovus

JIM 09:41 01 Nov 04

How many user accounts are on your winXP system?

john-231489 11:28 01 Nov 04

Thanks Jim

I am the only user.

JIM 11:41 01 Nov 04

Ok,open up another user account via the control panel,use a "temp" name for now (full computer addmin) then see if the problem is still there with Help/Support etc. If not soon be sorted as you may anticipate the next move.

Jim.

john-231489 12:34 01 Nov 04

Hi Jim

As you suspected that didn't work either. I tried all you suggested once more and I still cannot understand why I can't access my XP home edition disk. One other thing. Do you think that doing a repair with the XP disk would slove the problem as I really don't want to completely re-install windows.

Many thanks
Kovus

beeuuem 13:38 01 Nov 04

Maybe this will help click here

john-231489 15:42 01 Nov 04

Hi beeuuem

Thanks a lot. This was suggested earlier by Jim. I have tried all you sugest but it does not work. I have also tried to re install as you suggest but for some reason windows will not access my XP cd. Any suggestions

Cheers
Korvus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…