XP HE - PC random boots

awest3 17:25 18 Jul 07

I've just installed MS XP HE on a PC which had a dodgy copy of XP pro on it. All mainley ok except once or twice a day it re-boots itself. I do not see any error messages.Where do I look to find out what the problem is..?

On another front how do I get rid of the dodgy XP pro copy which now resides in a different partition....

All MS updates are on....

Any help would be welcome as ever..thanks Al

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 18 Jul 07

how do I get rid of the dodgy XP pro copy which now resides in a different partition....

format the partion (after you hav removed any files you need from that partition to the new partition)

PC random boots
Can be caused by a nymber of things.

1. Spyware and viruses do a scan, what antispyware and antivirus are you using?

2. Corrupt windows files,
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

3. Bad Memory
Memory Test
click here
click here

4. Hard drive problem
Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

5. Heat problems
Motherboard Monitor (1,736K) click here Monitors temperatures etc.

6. Driver problems
Check you have the latest drivers for your devices.

Andy1991 19:24 18 Jul 07

Random reboots are normally either Processor heat, PSU failure, or A windows STOP error.

Chekck the first to and all that fruitbat said and then check if it is a stop error, by going to START > Right click "My Computer" > Properties > Advanced tab > "Settings" button (3rd one down: under Start up and recovery section > Make sure the last 3 tick boxes are are as follows: The ones that should be ticked are:

"Write and event to system log", "Send an administrative alert".
Make sure "Automatically Restart" is unticked.

Then instead of rebooting on the STOP error (If it is a STOP error) it will give u blue screen telling u error details, and when u restart it gives u the chance to send an error report ro microsoft and it may aftr u do this give a u a fix to the problem or gives u the cause of it.

awest3 20:47 18 Jul 07

Thanks...fruitbat and Andy 1991..I'll try all you have suggested and get back with the results...will take a few days as the machine is my daughters...

Al

awest3 20:50 18 Jul 07

oops forgot to answer one of the questions...using norton 2007..plus spyblaster and AD aware...ave also run an A2 squared scan..all clear......also use CC to clean up..

Al

awest3 20:51 18 Jul 07

and another...I use iobit defrag software

Al

awest3 20:28 19 Jul 07

Cant seem to use the "click here" buttons...am I doing something wrong..?

Al

awest3 17:06 20 Sep 07

Thanks for your help on this, after checking everything else it looks like it was faulty memory.

We have not had a problem since I replaced it.

Thanks again Al

X™ 21:18 20 Sep 07

What about Windows update. It's extremely annoying, sometimes I've worked for an hour and it restarts the PC, luckily I've enabled Auto-save. I don't know if there's a stop for this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos