XP has suddenly stopped burning discs

sharpeyes 15:47 18 Jan 14

My computer (XP) has suddenly stopped burning discs. I've fitted a replacement CD/DVD drive and also bought and connected up an external CD/DVD drive with no success. A few weeks ago I had a box pop up which said that there was a problem with the drive and that I should click to fix, which I did. If I use Microsoft Fix It, it says that the CD/DVD drives are not capapble of burning, but they are. I'm a completely useless with computers so haven't got much of a clue.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 18 Jan 14

XP will only burn CDs not DVDs

for DVDs you need a third party burner

Exactly what error message do you get?

some info

sharpeyes 19:59 18 Jan 14

How have I been burning CDs and DVDs for the last few years then? As said , there was a problem with the CD/DVD drive and click a box to fix, which I did.

rdave13 20:06 18 Jan 14

What dvd burner program do you have?

sharpeyes 22:42 18 Jan 14

I've been burning using Elements 9 and Nero. It doesn't matter the computer WILL NOT burn CDs or DVDs any more. As said, the Microsoft Fix It Centre tells me that none of the CD/DVD drives are capable of burning, when the are. They can/will play but not burn.

rdave13 22:48 18 Jan 14

Try uninstalling Nero then run Ccleaner. Reboot and install CDBurnerXP. Different interface but will burn DVDs as well as CDs. Worth a go.

sharpeyes 08:56 19 Jan 14

But the computer refuses to recognize 3 CD/DVD drives as units capable of burning, only as read only units. PSE9 does not even show a CD/DVD drive as being present.The whole system, all programs, refuse to burn, not just Nero.

lotvic 10:10 19 Jan 14

Check the 'Drive Type' data value is set to (2) in the Registry. HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives

Details and more info: ClickHere Microsoft.com

michaelw 10:11 19 Jan 14

Take it back to 'last known good configuration' on bootup by tapping F8.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 19 Jan 14

Start - Run - type services.msc - press OK check Gear Security Service and IMAPI CD Burning COM service is set to automatic or manual

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…