XP has probelms loading desktop

zebedoo 15:18 03 Feb 06

Here's an interesting one:

I've got a clean installation of Windows XP Pro on a new machine which I built myself; occasionally, when Windows loads the desktop, its settings have reverted to something reminiscent of Windows 98, or maybe even earlier. For example the taskbar and start menus are a yucky one-tone grey.

Any ideas?

Strangely this seems to happen mostly when I select a fairly large jpeg as wallpaper (this file is stored on a different drive to the OS). Is there a limit to the size of file that can be saved as wallpaper on XP? Perhaps I am exceeding it and the desktop is having to compensate elsewhere?

Muchas thanks...

Z.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 03 Feb 06

Have you loaded graphic drivers for your system?

Sounds like its running at 256 colours.

Skyver 15:40 03 Feb 06

Not sure if there's a limit but you could try loading your chosen wallpaper image into this click here - reduce it's size to your desktop resolution, and reduce the colour depth to 256 (if it spoils the colours too much, Undo and try 65536) - then set that as your wallpaper with Irfanview (your original image won't be changed unless you actually select Save) - saves video memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…