XP on a hard drive.can it move to another computer

bigboab y 22:42 20 Jun 05

Ive got a 6gig laptop hard-drive with XP PRO on it.. if I stick the drive into another laptop will XP appear as the operating system? If it don't,is there a way to make it? I know there was a problem doing it on a desktop computer,but I seem to remember reading of a way it can be done... but the old-timer disease is kicking in and it is lost in the mist.. :-)

Completealias 22:52 20 Jun 05

The thing with doing this is that when windows is installed it customises itself to the hardware in the computer and installs the nessecary drivers etc for that hardware. Therefore when you try to transfer the drive to another comp you can have drivers missing for the chipset etc.

It is best to do a clean installation really

woodchip 22:53 20 Jun 05

Simple answer NO

woodchip 22:55 20 Jun 05

You are tied to MS with XP and one Computer

DieSse 23:09 20 Jun 05

What Completealias said is correct - it may work, it may not - but it will want at the least to update itself to the second systems hardware.

The MS OEM licence for XP does restrict you on whether you are allowed to transfer it to another system - this is a licence restriction, not a technical restriction - the Retail licence has no such restrictions.

However, because of the significant change of hardware, XP may need to be re-activated. It may re-activate automatically - you may have to call MS to get it reactivated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…