XP Hard Drive Will Not Boot

Bancroft 20:37 05 Aug 08

Good day,
I have a laptop running windows vista and also have external hard drive that is running XP. When I boot from external drive I get an error saying CONFIG.SYS corrupt or missing. It then says to run the XP CD and repair the missing or corrupt file.
When I try this and get to the recovery consol it gives me a choice of disk C or D. I choose D as internal disk is C, but then nothing happens and I am left with the DOS Prompt.
Where do I go from there?

Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 05 Aug 08

also have external hard drive that is running XP.

XP will NOT boot from an external drive.

The BIOS needs to be able to read an external drive from dos so the USB ports nave to be live in DOS (showns as if ours are already).

You need the XP boot files on the root of the C: drive and then you need to rewrite the boot.ini file to point towards the external drive, which must AlWAYS have the same drive letter every time you boot.

Bancroft 22:17 06 Aug 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I'm sorry I don't really understand your post, but I guess you are saying that XP will not boot from the external drive.
However, how does it know that there is a problem with Config.sys?
I see what you mean about the drive letter. D I think is usually CD/DVD.
Sorry if my knowledge lacks understanding.

woodchip 23:00 06 Aug 08

You Computer should be set for Dual Boot by using a boot manager, Also the BIOS as to have USB Legacy enabled. This should allow you to choose what to boot up when you press go

Bancroft 02:51 09 Aug 08

Thank you woodchip.

woodchip 14:36 09 Aug 08

So have you got it going???

Bancroft 00:42 10 Aug 08

No, I do not know how to repair the config.sys problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 10 Aug 08

1. where did the XP hard drive come from?
if from another computer XP will have the wrong drivers installed for your motherboard and other equipment.

2. click here

Bancroft 01:29 11 Aug 08

Hard drive came from dell desktop computer with no good processor. Laptop is also Dell.

OK thanks for link, but I am away on holiday for 3 weeks so I can check when I get to home again.

woodchip 10:33 11 Aug 08

The drive is not going to boot if the OS and drivers on the drive are from another computer

kalignorgna 11:11 11 Aug 08

A&B = floppy
C= primary HDD
D = CD-rom/DVD-rom and so on
and E= sould be the external

when u go into the laptop os check on my comp to check which is which but external drives conected buy usb would come affter the cd/dvd rom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…