XP hangs up except in Safe Mode

Grumpy Grandad 11:41 19 Feb 07

When I start up in Safe Mode I get through to desktop, but any normal attempt gives me a blank screen immediately after displaying the Windows XP logo. I have restored the system from the disc supplied and tried going through all sorts of system restore to no avail. I tried the debugging option in Safe Mode, and still a blank screen. When I try Safe Mode With Command Prompt I don't know what command I am supposed to give to the display of programs, and can't find any suggestions in Help. My troubles all seemed to start after a clean up with Ashampoo.

recap 11:42 19 Feb 07

If you created a backup whilst using Ashampoo, try restoring the backup. It sounds like Ashampoo has edited your registry.

VoG II 11:51 19 Feb 07

In Safe Mode With Command Prompt, at the > prompt enter

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter to launch System Restore. Restore back to before things went wrong.

Grumpy Grandad 08:22 20 Feb 07

Thanks Both,but no luck yet. VoG, your suggestion just leads into a System Restore, which I've always been able to get in Safe Mode.The trouble is that I cannot restore to any earlier than the date when I reset the whole system with the system recovery disc. This of course cleaned out the whole system including the Ashampoo back up.

Grumpy Grandad 17:44 01 Mar 07

As I could get no further help on this matter I took the manufacturers discs and restored the PC back to factory settings. It is now working so much better that I wish I had done this at the start and not bothered with software houses that can clean up your system. O.K. I've had to re-instal a few programs, but that's no hardship.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…