XP hangs on closing down screen

powertool 22:14 13 Dec 04

This started off happening now and then, but is becoming more frequent so that it is almost the norm. I have to press the reset button and then it goes off.

Any thoughts about how to fix this would be most welcome!

bertiecharlie 23:17 13 Dec 04

If you go to Start\All Programs\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer, see if there are any persistent error messages at the time of shutdown. If there are, right click the event and click on properties, which will give you further information and an event ID. By googling the event id number you can often find more info.

Djohn 23:28 13 Dec 04

Start/run and "TYPE"

From here on be very careful not to make any changes unless you feel sure of what you are doing.

Look in the left-hand pane of the two panes on show. Click on all the "-" sign's to collapse your folder tree back as far as it will go.

Now all that should be showing is "My Computer" Icon with a + sign to the left of it.

Click on the + sign

Scroll down to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click on the + sign to expand that folder.

Scroll down to the SYSTEM folder and click on the + sign to expand.

Scroll down to the "Current control set" and click on the + sign to expand.

Scroll down to the "Control" folder and click on the folder itself.

Now look to the right-hand pane of the window and you will see.

"Wait to kill service" Icon.

Right click on that Icon, from the drop-down menu choose.

Left click on "Modify" and dialogue box will open with the figure 2000 or even 20000 inside it. Reduce this to 200 by left clicking to the right of the last zero then backspace to delete one of the zero's or highlight the whole number and change to 200.

Click on OK and back your way out of the registry saving as you go.

It's easier than it sounds, but take your time and go through it slowly and you will be OK. If at any time you feel unsure just back out without making any changes.

Remember to collapse your folder tree as I mentioned above then you can start right at the beginning and follow through.
Good luck j.

powertool 17:07 15 Dec 04

Thanks for your help. The good thing is that that is the first time I have used the event viewer, or regedit. So I have learned something new.

Sadly, although I have changed the number to 200 successfully, it still hangs! It is a puzzle as, when I saw that the number was 20000, I felt sure this would crack it!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 15 Dec 04

Shutdown problems click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…