XP hangs after entering password

reburner57 19:12 24 Sep 03

Since installing service pack 1 for my XP home I have a strange problem. When the first user logs on after a boot Xp behaves Ok. But if you subsequently switch users or leave the pc for a while so you need to reenter the password then XP takes the password and displays the Welcome screen with the 'loading personal settings' message displays and goes no further. Hitting ctrl alt del at this point displays the users wallpaper with no icons or taskbar and no applications appear to be running.

Anyone got any ideas ?????

JIM 19:37 24 Sep 03

Have no idea why you have such problem and nothing found so far to help you.Suggest that you run the sfc /scannow check as it may help with nothing to lose.

BarryKeith 20:18 24 Sep 03

It may be that the personal settings include a program that is not available, has been removed or is damaged. Causing the machine to stop at that point. I'm not sure what you should do to rectify this, but there will be others, who have first hand experience, who can advise you.

reburner57 07:57 25 Sep 03

Lozzy 08:19 25 Sep 03

Do as Jim says and report back, you may need to scan the registry..

alcudia 08:30 25 Sep 03

I had a similar problem with two machines on my office network after adding additional users. The first user or administrator had no problems, but subsequent users were taking eleven minutes (I timed it) to get into the system. They hung just like yours on loading personal settings, but eventually got there.

I managed to cure it by entering the appropriate DNS and WINS settings in TCP/IP properties. Letting the new user login once and then removing these settings (which shouldn't be needed)

I have absolutely no idea how or why this worked. It was a shot in the dark and I'm just glad that it did.

Your solution may be somewhere else, but this may help.

leemgilbert 11:35 25 Sep 03

I would try using system restore this usually sorts this sorta thing out. This does sound like the machine has a corrupt file on it somewhere.

I havent installed the SP1 on windows xp Pro but I have had a simular issue which sometimes is as simple as scanning the hard drive for errors/defrag the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…