XP hang

freakbrothers 14:39 19 Mar 03

I recently installed XP on a new hard drive. My formatting and partitioning went like a breeze.
For the first week, PC was running efficiently. Now, into the 2-3rd week, the PC sometimes freezes/hangs. Upon checking the task manager box, the CPU useage stays at 100%, and also shows no applications running.
Now, over the last few days, I keep getting an error box, whenever I try and enter into my 'monitor setting' in the display settings. it still allows me to change what I want in the settings box, but why is this error box appearing?

It states:
File or Directory \Windows\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.exe- 260d9b8b.pf is corrupt and unreadable. Please use the chkdsk utility.

SO i tried chkdsk, and it also found the error. However, it also stated that it would not fix the problem file because I hadnt added a \F (Fix) parameter. When I added the \F, nothing happened, it just didnt acknowledge the command..
I only bought XP about 2-3 weeks ago, so im still learning the layout of the OS. Anyone got any advice for a newbie like myself.
Oh yeah, I got Service Pack 1 installed and most of the current Windows Update drivers/software.

powerless 14:52 19 Mar 03

Pop the XP disc in the drive.

Start > Run > Type:

Click "ok"...

See if that helps.

freakbrothers 14:54 19 Mar 03

thanks , ill give it a try now, and let you know how I get on...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…