XP frozen - can only push the reset key!

MartynHoll 20:24 12 Feb 05

A friend of mine has just installed Windows XP and is now finding that XP is starting OK but when it gets the to desktop display, it freezes! He cannot use the mouse, Ctl, Alt ,del will not do anything either. The only way out is to push the reset button.
I have not seen the PC yet, but I was going to make am MS-DOS floppy and then get a DOS prompt up and re-install XP - can anyone suggest anything better?

mattyc_92 20:27 12 Feb 05

Try going into safe mode and entering the built-in administrator and create another account.... Restart system and log into the new account and see if the problem is still there....

Technotiger 20:31 12 Feb 05

Hi, does your friend use a cordless mouse? quite often the cause of such freezes, low battery power.

Just a thought.

mgmcc 20:32 12 Feb 05

Depending how long XP has been installed, it might be possible to boot into Safe Mode and run System Restore.

<<but I was going to make am MS-DOS floppy and then get a DOS prompt up and re-install XP>>

XP is normally installed by booting with the XP CD, not from a DOS prompt, although it can be done per Microsoft's instructions at click here

groundhog 20:33 12 Feb 05

Reading the thread it would appear that your mate has a new XP Home/Pro disc therfore, While you my be able to reload/repair XP via DOS, It would be much easier to utilise the repair function of his XP disc.

Load the disc into the drive & restart, on the XP boot screen select install, XP will check the machine out and give him a couple of options one of which will be "Repair Windows"

MartynHoll 20:48 12 Feb 05

To go into Safe mode, you have to hold down F8 ob start-up?

VoG II 20:50 12 Feb 05

Keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen loads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…