xp freezing part way through loading

standing bull 09:26 06 May 08

hi all, when i switch on my computer it frequently only loads as far as the motherboard screen,so i do a restart and it loads to the screen where you click on your name, but the cursor is frozen,so i do another restart and it will run normally ,any ideas please

johnnyrocker 09:32 06 May 08

what age is everything? and os? could psu be iffy?

johnny

standing bull 10:10 06 May 08

hi johnnyrocker,thanks for reply ,pc is 5 years old, once it has loaded it runs fine

Ditch999 10:12 06 May 08

bad connection somewhere inside?

Ditch999 10:15 06 May 08

Do you switch it off at the wall socket? If so then when you switch the wall socket on, let it sit for 5 minutes then try switching it on at the case. You might have a failing capacitor.

standing bull 10:41 06 May 08

hi ditch999 ,i just turn off at night using the "turn off computer" i leave main switch on as i dont turn off my router

keef66 15:06 06 May 08

try turning it off at the wall and unplugging it for a minute or so. This sometimes helps our aging pc when it's having trouble starting up or shutting down.

birdface 15:28 06 May 08

Try in safe mode.Last good configuration or system restore to a date before you had the problems.Make sure that the air vents are not clogged with dust or fluff,if so inside will also need cleaning.

abitofchange23 15:55 06 May 08

In a few old pc's I have had removing the bios battery,waiting a minute or so then reinstalling it can help as it sets the bios back to defalt.If the battery is as old as your pc a new one might be the way to go.

standing bull 15:56 06 May 08

thanks all, will try your ideas and let you know how i get on

standing bull 16:30 11 May 08

ive implemented your suggestions ,and one of them seems to have worked (sorry dont know which one),thanks for replys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…