Xp freezing caused by cd drive?

number69 10:24 29 Oct 03

The system is Dual boot windows M.E. / XP pro
Processor AMD Duron 1300 megahertz
Memory 512 mb
2 x hard drives = 110 GB 86.gb free
GoldStar CD-ROM CRD-8322B
SONY CD-RW CRX185E1 [CD-ROM drive
The system keeps freezing / locking up it may run for days without a problem then keep locking up.
The problem seems to occur if the Sony drive is being used. But then other days it will be perfect.
The reason I suspect the cd drives is sometimes if I click on ?my computer? I find it only lists 1 cd drive. Rebooting the system brings back 2 drives to the list.
On ?my computer? if I right click either of the cd drives the screen goes blank the bare wallpaper comes on then slowly the icons reappear. Whilst in ME right clicking brings up the correct options.
I had real player on the system and removing that seems to have improved the problem but not cured it.
Any ideas please

The Idle one 10:54 29 Oct 03

Ther is a possibility 'realplayer' has left some stuff on the machine. - It contains spyware so beware

Stuartli 12:02 29 Oct 03

RealPlayer can be a pain unless configured absolutely to your personal needs - it tends to take over...

number69 13:43 29 Oct 03

Many thanks for the replies
I have uninstalled the program Bs recorder gold that came with the drive. I now find that if I right click on the cd drives icon. I now get the normal full list of options. I will have to wait and see if it has cured the other problems.
the thing is I like the program Bs recorder gold so I will have to find a way round it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…