XP freezez after SP1 Download

PhiltheFragger 21:36 23 Feb 04

A mates packard bell P4 1600 on a dial up, noticed he hadnt done Windows update for yonks.

took the box home, connected it to my broadband network all ok.

downloaded XP SP1 and rebooted as instructed and now it hangs mid boot just after the desktop background has loaded.

cant get into safe mode as when you press F8 you get a boot order menu.

Help as my mate is bigger than me

iqs 22:01 23 Feb 04

hello...i have a p4 packardbell and my problems with the xpsp1 are similar.three time i have tried to install the updates and everytime my pc runs very slow.programs take for ever to run,pc freezes,and on a number of occasions just switches it self off.not good.
my version of xp was preinstalled,so no disc.to correct the problems outcomes the recovery disc.system restore dosent help.
i was informed but dont quote me ,preinstalled versions of xp have issues because they are partitioned ?.like i said dont quote me on this.
if you and your friend solve the problems with installing the sp please keep me and others informed.i know im not alone .
cheers
iqs

PhiltheFragger 22:30 23 Feb 04

Oh my god

Anybody got any good news

Yes pre installed O/S

AAAAAHHHHGGGGG

gudgulf 23:19 23 Feb 04

Try this--Restart your pc ,but keep pressing F5 instead of F8 (just tried mine and f8 gets the pick boot device screen too).You should be looking at the windows advanced startup screen--if you are the select last known good configuration.With a bit of luck this should return the pc to its former working state.

sam 23:29 23 Feb 04

hi there
just a tip if ypu press f5 on bootup and nothing happens is your keyborad on USB port,if it is then plug into normal keyboard socket and you may find that works, it did for me.best of luck.
sam

PhiltheFragger 06:55 24 Feb 04

Thanks
Guys

SORTED

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…