XP Freezes/Crashes/Doesn't Restart

buddiebuoy 12:57 08 Sep 03

About three months ago my PC became very unstable and certain programs disappeared completely - System Restore was one of them. I was informed via help line that I needed to re-format my hard drive (also told I probably had Bugbear Viruss) and had this done by the shop where it was purchased. PC again has become unstable. I have Norton 2003 but it hasn't detected anything. Have also ran patches for bugbear, blaster and sobig but all have come up clear. Any ideas - do I need to reformat again?

Something else I just noticed is that I can't get 'XP View' in control panel or My Computer and the side panel is no longer visible?

spikeychris 13:57 08 Sep 03

If you have formatted then I take it you have the disk.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive ie: go to the BIOS and select CD as the first boot option.

Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. "Do not select this option".

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

The down side to a repair is you will have to reapply all updates and hot fixes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…