XP Freezes on start up.

malydee 16:36 02 Oct 06

Newly built PC with Abit N18 SLI mobo, Gigabyte GV-NX166128DP Graphics card, 2 Seagate SATA II hard drives, Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Processor, Corsair 1 Gb DDR memory.
About every 2 weeks my XP operating system freezes on start up for no apparent reason. The XP logo stops after about 5 loops. When I restart & try to select "Last kown working configuration" my IR keyboard does not function and I have to use my old keyboard. Sometimes the last configuration does not work and I have to restart in safe mode and select various previous memory points to re-start the system.
I have updated the BIOS, reloaded the OS to a second new HD and the OS works OK. After loading basic software (Partition magic, Office 2003, Nero 6, Hauppuage TV card, BT ADSL Modem, Trend Micro AV , the OS works for about 4 weeks & then starts to play up.
I have loaded the XP system disc to my other PC and laptop with no similar problems experienced.

Using Start/Run/MSCONFIG, I have reduced the programmes in the start up menu to the bare minimum and uninstalled the Nvidia firewall.

I have now run out of ideas and any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 02 Oct 06

FAiling at blue bars on XP log usually means a driver problem

update all your drivers especially the graphics driver.

malydee 17:25 09 Feb 07

Problem partly resolved with graphics driver update

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…