xp freezes on start up

smrdo 10:14 18 Mar 05

i suddenly cannot start my machine, xp gets past the splash screen, attempts to display th log on screen, but just remains dark, with only the mouse cursor visible, of ten freezes here to. Also it will not go into safe mode ither jsut stops on the splash screen.
The post starts ok with one beep.
Anyone have any ideas, i'm using service pack 1 (didnt get on with 2) 1g ram, 120g hard drive & nother 40g harddrive, p4 3.2ghz
Many thanks

rawprawn 11:21 18 Mar 05

Have a look in Bios and see if it's recognising your drive, try reseating the cable.

Completealias 11:46 18 Mar 05

Press F8 while the pc is booting up and try last known good configuration.

smrdo 12:03 18 Mar 05

tried last known good config, no joy, will have a go a reseatign the drive, i have tried removinh one and the other memory chips, and all pci cards, modem sound etc, even trieda different grpahics card, nothing..

Completealias 12:25 18 Mar 05

As far as I remember one beep means all ok so personally I think it is a problem with your xp installation and not hardware.

The fact that it is trying to boot also supports this.

I would try repairing the installion. Do you have a full copy of xp or recovery disks?

smrdo 12:55 18 Mar 05

yep i have a full copy of xp, just managed to back up my data by sticking the drive in an old pc and copying accross, so will try a repair, never done this before. incidently on safe mode the last file it loads up is system32/mup.sys dont know if this means anything, im sure there are usuallly more files loaded in safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…