XP freezes on log-off

Jackcoms 10:05 25 Mar 05

I'm using XP SP2, 512mb RAM, 2.26 Pentium 4 processor with 4 users, all administrators.

In the last few weeks, I've noticed that if we use the Start; Log Off option for one of the users the PC thinks about for around 30 seconds and then freezes. The only option then is to switch off at the mains (no, I DON'T enjoy doing that).

There are no problems with the other users and fast user switching is OK. I haven't installed any new software recently. I'm up-to-date with AV scans, Ad-Aware scans, Spybot scans, a2 scans and CCleaner and RegSeeker scans.

System Restore isn't an option because my restore points don't go back to a time before the problem first occurred.

I don't see this as a major problem, just a nuisance.

Any ideas?

Michendi 12:37 25 Mar 05

The most likely cause is that a Process is not terminating when you logoff that user. Using Task Manager check which processes are active just prior to logoff and see if there is anything there that may indicate a problem.

As an aside..... It is very bad practice to have 4 Administrators on an XP PC. While logged-in as an Administrator your PC is at more risk. Good practice is to have a single Administrator account and then User Accounts. Only login to the Administrator account when you have "Admin" things to do, and then logout and go back to a limited User Account for normal activities.

Jackcoms 13:46 25 Mar 05

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll try it.

"It is very bad practice to have 4 Administrators on an XP PC".

Why?

It's worked OK for us during the 3 years that we've had this set up. I think that I know my wife and 2 daughters well enough to know exactly what is what.

stalion 14:06 25 Mar 05

scroll down to power off at shutdown
click here

Jackcoms 15:19 25 Mar 05

Thanks, but that's not the issue.

I'm referring to logging off one particular using to return to the Welcome screen, NOT to power off.

Any other thoughts?

buscrew 15:23 25 Mar 05

Do any of these help click here ?

Jackcoms 15:44 25 Mar 05

Ah, ha.

Looks like just the one I want - "Windows XP stops responding (hangs) when you log off the computer if more than one user is logged on".

But, unfortunately, the solution is to install SP2 - which I've had since last August.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Michendi 19:49 25 Mar 05

It is not a question of trusting the other Administrators, it is about the priveledges that you might inadvertently give to a Trojan. Should a Trojan gain access to your system when you are logged in as an Administrator then potentially the Trojan could be afforded the same rights as the Administrator. This is not the case when you are logged in as a User with limited rights.

The text between the dotted lines is an extract from Microsoft's own guidelines on XP Administrator accounts :
---------------------------------------------
Why you should not run your computer as an administrator.

First of all when you run Windows XP as an administrator, you are running the computer with a higher level of privileges which can make system wide changes to the computer. It also makes the system vulnerable to Trojan horses and other security risks. Visiting an Internet site can be extremely damaging to the system, because unfamiliar Internet sites may have Trojan horse code that can be downloaded to the system and executed.

If you are logged on with administrator privileges, a Trojan horse could do things like reformat your hard drive, delete all your files, create a new user account with administrative access, and so on. To minimize the risk, it is recommended to log in as a user when doing day to day tasks and use the administrator account only for administrative tasks or making modification to the softwares.

If you frequently need to log on as an administrator, you can use the “runas” command to start programs as an administrator.
--------------------------------------------
If you are interested in finding out more then click here

rômanab 20:09 25 Mar 05

I am having what appears to be the same problem Jackoms, so I will be watching this one :o)

rômanab 20:11 25 Mar 05

Don't 'spose you have a Sagem modem do you? I sort of half suspect it could be that in my case.

Jackcoms 20:22 25 Mar 05

Michendi

OK. Understood. I guess it's time to change us all to limited users!

In which case how do I create an Administrator account, for use when I want to make changes?

rômanab

Yes, I am using a Sagem ADSL modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…