XP formatting main drive

Blubottle 20:18 21 Aug 07

I have been given a PC with an unauthorized copy of XP pro on it. I have been given no disc's with it. I can't get it to format, can anyone advise on the procedure, I have tried the help file but following the procedure the format command is greyed out.
regards

simmo07 20:27 21 Aug 07

you will need to get a genuine copy of XP before even considering formatting. If you format without the correct XP disk, you will not be able to get back on your PC after format.

Alternatively go to the place you got the PC and ask for a copy of XP, you should be entitled to one, sounds a bit dodgee its non genuine XP, maybe you have been conned

Blubottle 09:04 22 Aug 07

simmo07
thanks for your reply. the problem is this PC belongs to a friends daughter who had it tinkered with by someone who upgraded from win 98 to XP.It has obviously caused problems that being it keeps asking for WGA, my advice was to revert it back to how it was ie, remove XP put back 98. but I need to remove XP first and re-format.

Eric10 09:37 22 Aug 07

First, there is no way to reformat the system drive from within Win XP itself as this is seen as self destruction and there are safety measures in place to prevent this.

If you really want to go back to Windows 98 then I would suggest that you find out the make of your hard drive and go to the manufacturer's web site to download the appropriate free utility; Maxblast from Maxtor, SeaTools from Seagate, Lifeguard from Western Digital, etc. These will allow you to remove existing partitions, whether NTFS or FAT32, using a bootable floppy or CD and then prepare and format the drive as FAT32 for Windows 98.

Before you start make sure that you have a valid copy of Windows 98 (or the original recovery CD) to do the installation and that you have all Windows 98 drivers for your motherboard and devices.

simmo07 12:43 22 Aug 07

as well as a win98 Boot disk (floppy)

Windows 98 formatting is a right pain, make sure you have EVERYTHING first, including all the disks for your sound drivers, graphics (monitor adapters) and so on.

you will be in limbo if you dont have everything you need. do expect to run into some problems, you can make it easier having what you need on standby

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…