XP forgets power scheme settings.

Sheik Yerbouti 21:26 03 Jul 07

Display Properties - Screensaver tab - Power botton.
I have my screensaver to come on after 3 mins. and the screen to turn itself off after 5 mins. Went downstairs to make dinner at 5 this evening and came back upstairs at 7-30 to see my desktop still on display.
Did my yearly reinstall of OS about 2 weeks ago, and this has happened before -intermittently, but not for a while, and not since reinstall. Anyone experienced this annoying problem before or got a fix for it? Thanks.

Stuartli 23:13 03 Jul 07

Did you Apply the configuration before OK-ing?

Sheik Yerbouti 07:10 04 Jul 07

Possibly not Stuartli, but the settings seem to stick for weeks or months, then all of a sudden it will turn itself to never. I check the power settings and it says turn off monitor 'never' but I haven't touched it!
The funny thing also, is that screensaver is still set to 3 mins. but doesn't activate.
As I said, I reinstall XP on my main machine, anually, but I have another test system where it happens also, I reinstall XP, XP x64 and Vista on that frequently but it only happens in XP. My system has Nvidia graphics drivers fully updated, the test has ATI Fully updated, have tried with older drivers, still happens. Trying to figure out if it's something I've installed, (it quite likely is) thats causing this but 'cos of the random nature of it, it's hard (without keeping a written log of my activity).
Just thought it might be a common prob. but seems not.

Stuartli 09:44 04 Jul 07

>>without keeping a written log of my activity>>

Might get a clue from Event Viewer (Control Panel>Administrative Services).

Sheik Yerbouti 11:15 04 Jul 07

Good idea Stuartli, I've had a look though and nothing seems to indicate a change or highlight a problem.
Because no-one else seems to be experiencing this, and the fact it happens on Nvidia and ATI machines, I'm tending toward a piece of software I install on each occasion/machine,that is causing this, possibly graphics orientated.
I'll leave this open for a day or two, see if it rings a bell with anyone. Thanks for the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…