XP Firewall Vs PC-Cillin Firewall Vs Zone Alarm?

pwill 21:11 14 Dec 03

How does the PC-Cillin 2003 built in firewall compare for protection against the free Zone alarm? Only using a dial-up conection.

soy 21:50 14 Dec 03

All firewalls do the same job well.

PC-cillin costs a few bob, Xp's in-built firewall only blocks in coming traffic so you'll have no idea of what may be leaking out information. Zonealarm is free and is a popular choice.

On a dial-up connection, a firewall isn't really needed as those with static IP addresses (Broadband) but it is useful to keep track of outbound traffic.

Zonealarm will suffice.

Dragon Heart 00:13 15 Dec 03

No such thing as a free meal, so the old saying goes but Zone Alarm does it's job. You would be surprised at how many programs try to access the net without you knowing, even on a dial up. Zone Alarm is easy to set up, you can be notified of upgrades and it's free !
Suggest you also get Ad Aware to get rid of unwanted cookies, download it off PC Advisor site.

pwill 18:05 16 Dec 03

Thanks for the replies... I have been using the PC-Cillin one as I use that anti-virus prog & just wondered if it was as effective as Zone Alarm as it dosen't give much info on it's workings compared with Zone Alarm. I prefer to keep the system as simple as posible?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…