XP firewall keeps getting disabled

DGC 11:09 22 Mar 03

I have an XP PC with Internet Connection Sharing and the XP Firewall enabled. Often when I log on the Firewall is turned off and I have to enable it again. When this happens the other PC in my home network cannot see the Internet through ICS until I enable the Firewall.

My immediate suspicion is that a virus or spyware is doing it, but I have EZ AntiVirus and the latest Spybot S&D installed.

Any ideas?

User-312386 11:26 22 Mar 03

have another firewall running?

Andsome 12:12 22 Mar 03

It doen't do much anyway. Why not totally disable it and put a decent one in?

« Ravin » 12:53 22 Mar 03

not too sure about this but go to tools and internet options under the connections tab highlight your internet connection and and click "set as default"

this happened to me once before and only went away after i set one of my connections as default.. may work for you or may not but give it a try

DGC 22:46 24 Mar 03

I used to use ZoneAlarm but it wasn't very LAN and ICS friendly even when I set up the LAN as a known connection. I'll maybe have another go and risk the ire of my son and his LAN & Internet gaming if I can't get XP's firewall to stay set.

My internet access is cable broadband so I can't set a default dial-up setting.
The only other thing I've just thought of is that my Modem is still in the PC although I'm not using it. I'll try disabling it and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…