XP Firewall, is any other firewall needed

Mur 02:39 01 Jan 04

Just upgraded to XP Home. Wondered if anyone new if it was worth installing a firewall or is the built in version included in XP adequate. (maybe i don,t trust microsoft security !)

terminus 02:54 01 Jan 04

The free firewalls you can get from the downloads link above are generally better than the XP one if you choose one. Don't forget to turn the XP one off first ...right click the my computer icon then choose properties and disable it.

Free but you cant update...

But very good.....

click here

XP firewall can prone to some of the XP exploits that are availble that mean you are open to trouble.....

Terrahawk 07:50 01 Jan 04

The advantage of a third party firewall such as zone alarm is it gives you control of what programs you allow to access the internet as well as blocking incoming traffic.The xp fire wall will only block incoming traffic. Their are a few free firewalls you can download Zone alarm is probably the most user friendly.
click here the one on the left that just says firewall is the free one
also available if you wish try them
Sygate click here
Kerio click here
Outpost click here
All of which are free for non commercial use

A Cat Called George 09:27 01 Jan 04

You do need to use a third party firewall, the XP firewall has more holes than a seive.

bananaslik 09:54 01 Jan 04

where exactly is the xp firewall i've looked in 'my computer,properties'and can't find it.
ps happy new year everybody..

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:45 01 Jan 04

Open network connections. Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:
To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer.

terminus 12:20 01 Jan 04

Cheers G middle of the night I must have had system restore on my mind, sober as a judge honest.

961 13:44 01 Jan 04

Use Zone Alarm (free for home use) It is as good as any

Stuartli 14:40 01 Jan 04

Of course you can update ZA - version 4.5.538.00 was only released about two weeks ago...:-)))

In fact there is an update button on the Preferences Page so you can check occasionally; however, they are not released very often for obvious reasons.

You are probably confusing this type of update with anti-virus updates, which are a different matter altogether.

Mur 14:56 01 Jan 04

Guess I had 1 2 many dozed off before i got a reponse.
Oh well the heads a bit better now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…