XP firewall

odb 21:37 05 Feb 03

how do i disable the firewall built into XP? im using aol dial on demand

MAJ 21:45 05 Feb 03

Go to Control Panel/Network connections and click on the icon for your connection. In the left pane, click, "Change settings of this connection", click the Advanced tab and untick "Protect my computer........".

Gaz 25 21:45 05 Feb 03

Right click properties on your Connection from the Connect To> Menu or your High speed connections from My Network Places. It will probably be named as AOL Internet, when the properties box appears click the Advanced tab and you should be able to disable it from there. Then disconnect and restart your connection.

Not a wise Idea to disable a firewall but I know it aint work with AOL, try Zonealarm - Free and quite good too.

odb 21:49 05 Feb 03

i want to disable it to install my own. my aol dial on demand wont let me into it in order to get the options to disable

VoG™ 21:52 05 Feb 03

I remember reading before that AOhelL won't let you do this. You should be able to install a second firewall. Firewalls generally don't conflict in the way that anti-virus programs do. If you do this and have problems, simply uninstall your "own" firewall.

odb 22:00 05 Feb 03

thats true but i have trouble viewing some web pages and disabling a firewall has been reccomended several times, XP's own is all i have on it so it could be the problem....if that makes sense

VoG™ 22:07 05 Feb 03

What happens when you try to view those pages? Can you post an example of such a site? - just copy the address from the address bar and paste in here.

odb 22:13 05 Feb 03

it was mainly the terms for aol broadband that i couldn't accept due to this firewall(thats what they say) it aint all the time but some pages appear but dont load and then freeze but wont close so i have to restart connection

VoG™ 22:15 05 Feb 03

That doesn't sound like a Firewall problem to me but I could be wrong.

odb 22:17 05 Feb 03

any ideas then, its what aol is trying to tell me

odb 22:19 05 Feb 03

oh and internet explorer is constantly saying "page cannot be displayed" dotted about web pages...any idea on that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…