xp firewall

El jimbo 22:06 24 Jul 04

I cannot enable the xp firewall. When I go to connections the settingd tab is greyed out and I can get no further.

johnnyrocker 22:09 24 Jul 04

xp pro or home? right click the connection select properties/advanced and it should be there.

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 24 Jul 04

XP firewall is pretty useless anyway

Download and install Zone Alarm click here

It is usually on the PCA cover disks aswell

User-312386 22:38 24 Jul 04

go to start>control panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections

Now right click your connection, select properies and then advanced

Put a tick in the box and the firewall will be enabled

THE TERMINATOR 00:50 25 Jul 04

click on start,Connect To, right click on your ISP, and choose properties, click on the advanced tab and choose to enable your firewall, or better still get Zone Alarm it's freeclick here

feb 08:25 25 Jul 04

If I'm reading it right He knows how to turn on the firewall but the option is greyed out. Sorry El jimbo I don't have an answer but at least it moves you up again!

Stuartli 08:35 25 Jul 04

...out I wouldn't bother - the free edition of ZoneAlarm is superior although Microsoft has, apparently, upgraded the firewall for XP's SP2 service pack due out shortly.

feb 09:05 25 Jul 04

The XP firewall is good at what it does, It gives you basic protection on initial connection to the internet enabling you to install the needed security updates and virus definitions without being infected with certain bugs. After that the debate is whether you actually need a firewall at all!
I don't believe MS have upgraded the firewall, merely turned it on by default, thus giving that initial protection which seems to cause so many problems.

Stuartli 09:29 25 Jul 04

It has been upgraded in SP2 but apparently is still not the bee's knees.

click here

This is MS's overview:

click here

The last paragraph in this link undermines your observation regarding not being infected with certain bugs using SP1's firewall:

click here

You do need a firewall - I just feel far more comfortable with ZA.

helmetshine 09:30 25 Jul 04

feb

i'll think you'l find the firewall has been upgraded for SP2....i believe it now offers outbound protection as well as inbound

feb 09:49 25 Jul 04

Interesting reading Stuartli, I stand corrected over the enhancements. As regards the need for a firewall' it's not my opinion click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac