XP File Sharing?

simmo07 02:25 06 Jan 08

I have 2 PC's connected by LAN. 1 PC is connected to the internet wirelessly, using ICS i can succesfully use the internet on the other PC.

So as it stands, 2 PC's connected through LAn with internet access via PC1 wireless, all OK...

Now i want to share files, but how? I want to be able to see PC1's shared files on PC2. I have the files in the shared folder (it has a hand underneath it) but neither pc can see each other.

Any guidance, also should i be connected to a domain or workgroup? currently im connected via workgroup.

Cheers in advance for advice, i want this one sorted :)

brundle 02:37 06 Jan 08

Not an expert on ICS, if one machine is connected via wireless router it would be simpler to add wireless capabilites to the second machine (if possible). Some thing to read here click here

As for domain/workgroup, you can't join a domain with out a domain server so workgroup is your only option.
click here

Taff™ 07:52 06 Jan 08

Are both machines XP Home? If one is Pro I think you have to enable Simple File Sharing.

You need to run the Network Setup Wizard from Control Panel on both machines. Tick the box for ignore disconnected hardware & use WORKGROUP as the network name. Make sure both computers are set to share Files & Printers in the appropriate dialog box.

Try putting at least one document in each compter`s shared folder. You will need to reboot both machines.

ICF 08:04 06 Jan 08

Firewall blocking access?

Numbnuts2001 08:05 06 Jan 08

Make sure both pc's are in the same workgroup. Check both ip addresses, Click start run, type cmd, at the dos prompt type ipconfig /all this will give all relevant ip address info .If you still can' t see both pc's click start run and type \\192.168.?.? replacing the ? with your other pc's specific address ie: 192.168.1.1 .This should ? should show the other pc.

simmo08 20:30 07 Jan 08

thanks for the tips will try it later, im thinking there is a conflict in IP somewhere or name mismatch. sometimes for example if i try to run repair on the LAN it fails to renew IP.

Cheers

rossgolf 20:32 07 Jan 08

if there is a conflict XP should tell you in a baloon

Robotic_Rob 00:06 08 Jan 08

From wanting to do the same thing a few days ago, i got roughly the same answers. I did what Taff™ said and i found it changed the windows login screen. Don't know whether that matters to you.

Personally i could occasionally see PC2 on PC1 and visa versa. But i could never view the files or send any data between the two computers. After an hour or two of randomly trying to figure out what was wrong, i gave up. Now i send small files via blue-tooth and large files via memory stick/DVD.

simmo08 16:22 09 Jan 08

I got it working now, thanks for advice. here is how i did it if anybody else experiences same problem:

> Disabled Wireless Connection
> Named PC1 as Room1, and PC2 as Room2
> Named workgroup as Local
> make sure File and Printer sharing is on both
> Run network setup wizard
> Update Network ID (right click my computer, properties, computer name)
> restart both pcs at the same time, if still no connection right click your LAN adapter and Repair
> if no joy still make sure both networks are visible (start,run,"command",net config server /hidden:no)

That should do it, any problems im happy to help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…