XP file format

wotbus@ 09:48 21 Sep 06

I am under the impression XP runs better on NFTS format. My own system does but it has never run on FAT32 so I am unable to endorse my view ;-) While researching external HDD storage for a friend I noticed a product [memup] states that the format for the device must be the same as the OS to which it is linked. OK so far. I then remembered my friends XP OS is formatted in FAT32, from new. As I would imagine most XP OS's are formatted in NFTS and as my friend would like to use the external device elsewhere on other PC's, is it a good idea to reformat her OS to NFTS?
If so, is this a straight forward operation.

Diodorus Siculus 09:59 21 Sep 06

How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS
click here

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
click here

It's straightforward but I still think that it is necessary to have a good backup in place.

To be honest, FAT32 or NTFS will not make much difference in real life situations.

wotbus@ 10:03 21 Sep 06

OK DS, thanks for the links and the advice. Your last sentence relates to performance perhaps? Would you agree most modern PC's come formatted NFTS? I am not worried about reforatting for performance but more for compatibility of her new external device with other PC's.

wotbus@ 10:21 21 Sep 06

What I am getting at is this:
The device comes ready formatted FAT32. Her PC is the same. If she takes the device to another PC which is NFTS, it won't work, uhhh, will it?
If the majority of PC's are NFTS [XP that is], then is it better to reformat the device and her PC?

TonyM 10:26 21 Sep 06

I have an external hardrive , connected via USB, that is FAT32, and I use it with my XP machine which is NFTS with no problem at all. I have left it as FAT 32 because I also use it with an old laptop running Win98SE that is FAT32 and it works fine on that as well.

wotbus@ 11:02 21 Sep 06

Ahhh thanks TonyM, just what I wanted to hear. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…