XP Fax Console disappeared

griffo 18:05 20 Jul 09

The Windows XP Fax Console has disappeared off my PC today.

Also, when I go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, as soon as I hover-over/highlight Communications, the PC freezes. When it finally decides to free-up, and I hover-over/highlight Fax, it says "Empty" where it should say "Fax Console".

Can anyone please suggest a remedy?

Stuartli 18:07 20 Jul 09

You may need to Reinstall the Fax Console from Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components.

Have your installation disk handy.

griffo 19:29 20 Jul 09

thanks for the response. When I look in add/remove windows components, Fax is already ticked.

Stuartli 20:28 20 Jul 09

Try a System Restore.

griffo 20:33 20 Jul 09

I have also tried that - no change unfortunately.

griffo 20:44 20 Jul 09

I don't know if this is connected to the current problem but this PC tends to 'pause for thought' for quite a long time on occassions. Typically, when I open folders and also Word seems to take quite a while to open.

Stuartli 21:02 20 Jul 09

Also check out Printers and Faxes from Start>Settings. If Fax Console is listed, check out the configuration.

If no luck, the file name is:

fxsclnt.exe

Check if it is in:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

or

C:\Windows\System32\dllcache

If you need to download it, go to:

click here

griffo 21:51 20 Jul 09

The file is in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
but I don't have a C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder.

I checked on my laptop (also win XP Pro) and that has a C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder with fxsclntr.dll in it.

griffo 21:58 20 Jul 09

If I go into Printer/Faxes and double click Fax, it opens the Fax Console but when I open a document (that I want to fax) and I click print, select Fax, it shows the Progress Bar when it's copying the document but when that disappears the Fax Wizard doesn't start up - it used to.

Stuartli 22:49 20 Jul 09

See:

click here

It might also be worth running SFC. Copy and paste this line:

sfc /scannow (note the space)

into the Run box>OK>

You will probably need your XP disk.

Alternatively, run ChkDsk

My Computer>highlight your Hard Drive (C)>Properties>Tools tab>Error Checking>tick Check Now box>Check Automatically Fix File System Errors>OK.

Reboot your system.

griffo 08:54 21 Jul 09

I ran scannow then chkdsk (the latter found segments in File Record that were unreadable) and it appeared to fix things.

I then ran them both again, this time chkdsk found no errors and scannow asked for the XP disc to be inserted to allow files to be copied to dllcache.

When this had finished, I looked in Explorer and System32 still doesn't have a dllcache folder. However, there is one in Windows\Last Good\System32.

What are the implications of this please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…