xp failure to recognise discs

peug417 15:45 07 Sep 03

My pc with xp has an annoying habit. If i have a disc in my cd drive it shows up on my explorer correctly. When i open the drive to remove the cd it to changes to show just the drive, but when i put a new disc in it still shows the old one. f5 a few times sometimes works else its a restart.

confused......

peug417 18:52 10 Apr 04

bump

peug417 18:06 29 May 05

Anyone got any ideas 1 year on?

Ancient Learner 21:58 29 May 05

That sound weird. After all this time, I'm afraid that I would get myself a new DVD drive, they are so cheap nowadays. (A DVD writer will also write CDs)

Completealias 23:23 29 May 05

I had a similar problem with my laptop drive not regonising discs I used the autoplay repair wizard from microsoft click here which fixed it for me worth a try

BT 09:00 30 May 05

Have a similar problem with both drives on my Advent T9202. Often when you put in a disc the drives whirrs for a few seconds then the whole computer just freezes and has to be switched off and rebooted. Tried Autofix which seems to work for a while. Also tried uninstalling both drives on the Hardware page and rebooting which again had limited success.Took off the side and reseated all the cable connections. This seems to have had the most success with only one lock-up this week, so it seems that this is where the problem is coming from.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 30 May 05

TRy uninstalling and reinstalling th IDE channel the CD/ DVD are connected to, not just the drives themselves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…