XP fails to boot. New memory at fault?

Dobba 15:27 05 Apr 04

I was running a 1.47 Gigahertz AMD Athlon chip with windows XP and 256 MB PC2100 DDR memory (266 Mhz). I decided to add another 256 MB of memory as the large number of graphics on my computer was slowing it down. The memory installed o.k. and was recognised by the computer on startup and it did make a difference to the speed of things. Then a couple of days later, windows failed to boot and just froze.
I eventually booted from the XP CRDOM and ran CHKDSK /p via the recovery console. This told me that CHKDSK had found a fault and cured it. I then re-booted several times in the course of the next day or so, with no problems.
However, the same thing happened again today and after attempting to go back with System restore (To no avail) I took out the memory recently installed, but no joy, Windows would still not reboot on its own, and it would only boot into safe mode over ten or fifteen minutes. I have now re-installed the memory and CHKDSK has again cured whatever the fault is and enabled the machine to boot.
One thing I have noticed is that the temperature of the system, advised at boot-up (NOT the temperature of the chip) is 32 degrees, whereas normally it stays at around 10 degrees lower. It would seem that the system is running hotter than normal (Both interior fans are working) and that something, perhaps the newly installed memory, is causing the problem.
The new memory is from a reputable firm and is exactly the same memory as was originally installed.
Anyone any ideas?

anon1 16:38 05 Apr 04

Although the fans are working are they working correctly? You may be able to see them spinning but just how effective are they. You could have dodgy ram (even the best sometimes get faulty batches). When the computer freezes at start up does it restart if you leave it for 10 minutes or so or does it simply refuse to start? If the system is failing the system restore will probably not work. In my opinion it should have been called windows restore. Although you can "rollback" to older or previous drivers it hardly restores the hardware (system). What yo could try is to run for a while with just the original ram and see if the problem recurs ( once sorted again). You could also run a memory test but be warned it takes several hours to complete a full test.

Stuartli 16:50 05 Apr 04

Are you sure that the memory is inserted properly?

May sound like a silly question, but it needs to be firmly seated.

The other possibility is that in putting in the new memory you may have inadvertently blocked some of the air flow through the case by moving cables; this could account for the increase in heat.

Fans also need to pull/push the air in the right direction and are usually marked regarding the air flow's direction.

AndySD 16:52 05 Apr 04

There is the possability that the extra power needed by the ram cannot be supported by the psu. What power rating is the psu?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…