XP error-checking function not working

CurlyWhirly 15:53 05 Nov 06

Recently when attempting to backup my PC, I keep getting a Delayed Write Failure error.

The EXACT error message is:

"Delayed Write Failed: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

I have now re-formatted it but when I attempt XP's error-checking I get this error message:

click here

I have now bought myself a replacement drive as I can't be without a backup but I'm just wondering why XP's error-checking won't complete?

Is my hard drive only good for the bin now or is there a utility that I could use to check for bad sectors, etc?

Thanks.

p.s. it is an EXTERNAL USB 2.0 hard drive that I'm referring to

terryf 16:02 05 Nov 06

Plug it in and go to Run>cmd then type chkdsk /? to tell you how to apply the command to the relevant disk letter

terryf 16:03 05 Nov 06

PS, you should then type chkdsk /F to do a check and repair

CurlyWhirly 16:09 05 Nov 06

Thanks I will try that out ;)

CurlyWhirly 16:32 05 Nov 06

I've run the command and the error-checking completed this time so I assume the errors were fixed?

It seems strange that it run okay from the RU command but not when I right-clicked the hard drive icon and selected 'Error-checking' under the 'Tools' option.

Just one of lifes little mysteries!

Resolved with thanks.

CurlyWhirly 16:33 05 Nov 06

RUN command I mean

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…