xp and dvd regional settings

BWFCHORWICH 19:25 05 Jan 04

my laptop has a dvd player. i normally watch english dvds (regional 2?) over the weekend i watched a canadian dvd (regional 1 i think they are?) everytime i try to watch a uk dvd it says that i am unable to watch that region. it does say that i have 1 attempt left at changing. i am happy to change back to uk region and leave it at that.
i dont know how i change back to uk region. it says something about administration??? i am the only user of the laptop and windows xp was installed when i bought it from dixons.

can anyone help?

pwill 19:44 05 Jan 04

I'm having the same problem. I bought a cdr/rw/dvd a couple of months ago & only over xmas did I try to play a dvd. It won't let me set a region... says I don't have administrator privelage... I also am the only pc user.

Did have another tread running but it is now way down the list... so if any one knows why, I'd like to know too!

BWFCHORWICH 19:45 05 Jan 04

ive done a search on here and cant find any solution.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:15 05 Jan 04
  BWFCHORWICH 20:20 05 Jan 04

thanks for that...but..there must be some way of changing it in xp? it says i have another chance to change the setting.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:14 05 Jan 04

My computer-right click-properties-device manager-hardware-select your DVD drive-double click-select regions.

G

BWFCHORWICH 21:34 05 Jan 04

i think you are pointing me in the right direction. when i have done what you said i get this message...
"unable to update regional setting. please make sure the drive contains a region 2 media (which it does) and you have administration priviledge.

I am the only user of this pc,its registered to me.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWFCHORWICH 09:02 06 Jan 04

Just putting this back 2 the top.

can anyone help?

thanks in advance

Stuartli 09:07 06 Jan 04

If you go to XP Help and Support you will find out how to use the administrative and users group tools.

xplogos 10:14 06 Jan 04

Where are you actually looking at the number of region changes? If I remember rightly some software like Powerdvd doesn't go past the 1 change left option - It just shows it as greyed out.

The only way you're going to change the region now is through a Firmware update (dangerous) or send the drive back to the manufacturer (expensive).

JamesB

BWFCHORWICH 15:07 06 Jan 04

i still have 1 change option left. it just says i do not have the admin right to change it (even though i am the only user)
i will check out what stuartli said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…