XP - DVD Multi-Region restriction

reburner57 07:13 08 Jan 07

Xp has a built in restriction that only allows you to change the region for playing DVD's up to 4 times. Does anyone know of any software that either bypasses this or is able to remove the restriction ???

€dstowe 07:40 08 Jan 07

It is the DVD ROM that has the restriction, not XP.

You can override the multi-region restriction from most DVD players. Just Google the model number and search.

Easier is to do as I do and have a second (or even more - there are four region settings) DVD ROMs on a machine reserving a region for each one. It won't cost a lot, you can get a DVD ROM for a few quid, and doing this is safer than fiddling about doing firmware alterations to your machine.

reburner57 07:48 08 Jan 07

More DVD ROMs is not the answer I'm afraid as it is a laptop. I'll try googling the drive (think it's a Panasonic) and see what I can find

reburner57 07:55 08 Jan 07

mmmm. Device manager lists the device as a Pioneer DVD-RW-K17RS for which google comes up blank.

Anyone got any ideas ?

€dstowe 08:02 08 Jan 07

Not read this in detail but, click here

Also, if you Google region free dvd, you will get lots of hits.

Not sure of the legality of this information so, act quickly as it might be removed.

Sorry FE if this is contravention of forum rules.

jimv7 08:06 08 Jan 07

Any DVD from click here

removes the region code as soon as the dvd is read.

€dstowe 08:07 08 Jan 07

Having just looked at the link I gave above, I would feel much safer with an external DVD drive attached via USB2.

reburner57 08:44 08 Jan 07

Jim. AnyDVD looks pretty good and you get to try before you buy. Have you used it ??

I'm not tight or anything but does anyone know of a free solution :))

mymate 09:40 08 Jan 07

I think Dvd genie is free.I bought Dvd region free and thats good .

mymate 09:41 08 Jan 07

click here

yep Dvd genie is free

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:10 08 Jan 07

Region setting
There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

Note: Currently, the only software region free solution when using WinDVD Platinum to play DVD's is WinDVD Tweaker Pro ($18.00 US) click here

xvi has written up an excellent article with even more information click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…