XP D'top locked 4 minutes +"Hiding inactive...etc"

Derek 05:33 12 Sep 03

Upgraded to XP Pro without any working problems but, on first startup in the morning, I get the desktop screen locked up with a box situated in the right lower corner which says "Hiding your inactive notification icons...etc".
The system is locked up for about four minutes and the HD activity light show the HD to be working.
After clearing itself my small bluish circle with the small arrow refuses to stay open.

Thanks to all in advance DM.

brian990 09:39 12 Sep 03

I had a similar problem, started after I updated video drivers, had to uninstall old drivers and reinstall new driver..................

Also if you go to control panel / appearance themes / "pick a control item" / taskbar start menu /.

you will see the config for taskbar go in and recheck settings....................highlight options and change preferences on programs.

may not be same problem but worth trying!!.

Derek 11:46 12 Sep 03

Many thanks Brian, looked into your suggestion but problem persists.
Done a few checks and come up with more information. It happens every time I boot up.
Whilst the desktop is 'locked',and I just have to wait, the broadband modem unit 'send' activity is downloading or appears to be.

-pops- 13:02 12 Sep 03

Click on "Start". RIGHT click on blank space at the pottom of the start menus where the Log Off and Turn off computer are located and then click on "Properties" which appears. Click on the "Taskbar" tab and then "Customize". You will then get a list of items in your start up menu and their "Behaviour". Does this list have something like "Always hide" beside every entry? If yes then this is the reason for the delay you note - Windows is busy starting the programs then hiding all indication that they are working.

If you click on one of the behaviour entries you will see some alternative actions it can carry out. On my machine most are clicked as "Hide when inactive" but the choice is yours.

May not be this but it's something that comes to mind.

-pops- 13:03 12 Sep 03

pottom??? bottom of course!

-pops- 16:53 12 Sep 03

Moving to top page before this disappears into oblivion.

Derek 07:20 13 Sep 03

Thank you Pops, looked into your suggestions but the problem remains. Just thought though...might try using Sys Restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…