XP and Drives.....What does this mean ?

Giantsquid 23:17 17 Jul 03

Hello to all,

About a month ago I got a new computer with XP Home Edition, and in all honesty it's been great up to now.

I have not had much time to examine all the differences that Xp brings as compared with ME but after going into Run and Browse I'm not too sure on what I have found, it says on the E drive that I have 'recover' and after opening 5 files all seem to have about 600 nb of data plus one file exe with 689 nb of data. Also, I have a 'D' drive with backup on it.

Can anyone tell me what these two drives mean?

Is this some way of recovering data in the event of a crash and if so what happens if my hard drive goes down anyway. Surely this will all be lost.

Thanks for the help.

jazzypop 23:23 17 Jul 03

It sounds as if it is a set of 'factory restore' files.

Who supplied the PC?

A15 23:24 17 Jul 03

I too have this set up on my computer, a Medion to be precise. This is just how they set up the drive. C drive for normal everyday use, D drive (named backup) presumably for storing any backup's you wish to make, but you can use it for anything you please, & finally E drive, which is normally where your recover files are stored. If you ever need to use your recover CD to return Windows to it's install state then the recover CD will look for these files on E drive.

If you delete the files on E drive you will not be able to use your recover CD, or re-install Windows unless you have the XP CD supplied with the machine.

Giantsquid 23:47 17 Jul 03

Jazzypop,
It's a Medion.

jazzypop 23:53 17 Jul 03

Then A15 has hit on the right answer :)

Giantsquid 00:01 18 Jul 03

Thanks for your help.

Giantsquid 00:02 18 Jul 03

Thanks !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac