XP Driver Problems

BSAJOE 13:49 01 Mar 07

At work I am running windows XP Professional Ver 5.1.2600 on my Dell Dimension E520 and I am having problems loading drivers. The computer is some 4 months old now and when I first used it I had no problems at all. Whatever I plugged into any of the five USB ports XP found the drivers and loaded the hardware immediately or it loaded direct from the accompanying CD. Then all of a sudden just before Christmas it suddenly stopped recognising ANY hardware. Since that date I now cannot connect anything without getting the "windows cannot find the drivers for this device" type messages. Even if I have the driver CD with the hardware it WILL NOT load the drivers. I bought a brand new Canon camera & windows recognises that it is a Canon camera but when I browse to the CD drive to load the drivers windows announces that "the files do not contain any info about your hardware". I have 2 other desktops and a laptop and they all load everything fine but my machine does not want to know. I have tried all the reload drivers tricks from the Device Manager and downloaded endless drivers from the internet but windows does not recognise or load any of them. The device manager shows the hardware device with the yellow exclaimation mark but it has no drivers suitable for these problem devices in its database although I can however still use the pen drives etc that were loaded/used before the problem started even though some of these working devices use the same generic drivers as the problem devices I am trying to load. Can anyone help? - Regards - Joe

LimestoneRock 14:11 01 Mar 07

You mention that you have "tried all the reload driver tricks" but have you deleted everything under USB in Device Manager and re-booted? Windows should then find drivers and re-install.

skidzy 14:20 01 Mar 07

Not sure if this will help,but have you tried the system file checker ? Start/Run and type sfc /scannow (note the / space)
Understanding SFC click here

BSAJOE 08:46 02 Mar 07

Hi LimestoneRock and Skidzy. Thanks for your replies your input is appreciated. Firstly LimestoneRock, I am loathe to delete any drivers that are working in case I cannot get them back again which would then render the machine totally useless. Can you guarantee that this won't happen? Skidzy, I have tried the scannow option but I get a 10th of a second flash of a DOS screen then nothing at all. The flash is too quick to read the screen and I cannot progress further than this. I have scanned for viruses with AVG and I have a trojan remover which checks for trojans on bootup. XP came pre-loaded on the machine so I do not actually have a CD for diagnostics.

LimestoneRock 10:54 02 Mar 07

No, I cannot guarantee but this action has been suggested many times on this Forum by others. There is always System Restore if it does fail or even Last Known Working Configuration on boot up you can rely on. Have you seen these also click here & click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…