xp and drive allocation

mrh 19:04 02 May 03

installed 2nd hard drive on xp machine - no apparent problems - reads/writes - loads progammes - only query is it allocated f as drive letter - left d and e as dvd and cdrw- i know there is another similar post but didn't want to intrude
any help appreciated

VoG™ 19:09 02 May 03
  mrh 19:15 02 May 03

thanks for quick response - is it usual for xp to not sequentially assign hard drive letters unlike previous versions of windows

temp003 05:23 03 May 03

I suspect that's the way XP works. It's the same for Windows 2000.

cream. 07:40 03 May 03

One of the reasons X\P may have taken this approach is the problem that used to be associated with adding extra hard drives in win 9X.

If for instance an extra hard drive was installed on a mature computer, one running for awhile with lots of programmes. Then the automatic allocation of the new drive to "D" did lead to lots of problems when trying to access some programmes that required you to insert the cdrom. The path could not be found because the programme would be associated with "D" the old cdrom. This of course was moved to the letter "E".

Many experienced with this problem in 9X would reallocate the cdrom, cdrw and dvd drive letters before they installed programmes to take in to account further expansion.

All though you rightly say that the drive letters can be changed, this may be X\P's way to help the inexperienced user.

mrh 07:49 03 May 03

That sounds likely - thanks for all info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac