XP and DOS

kentylad 21:31 11 Mar 03

I have created a start-up disk in XP using the standard procedure i.e. A: - Format - Create MS-DOS Start-up Disk

However, when I re-boot my PC and try to use the start-up disk, it doesn't seems to recognise my master HDD - The one with Windows installed

is this another xp security measure?

regards

NICK

SMB Systems 21:40 11 Mar 03

no it is because your floppy disk is formatted with the fat file system and your hard drive is most likely ntfs file system, if this is the case you cannot view your hard drive with any boot disk.

AndyJ 21:44 11 Mar 03

As I understand startup disks for XP can only be obtained from download from microsoft.

Habe a look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 310994

kentylad 21:51 11 Mar 03

you are quite right, my hard-drive is ntfs file-system

oh well!

Thanx

Tony 23:05 11 Mar 03

Hi I have a small utility that when placed on the dos boot floppy and either activated from the Autoexec.bat onthe floppy or if it is loaded from the dos prompt, will alow you to see the ntfs hdd but will not allow to do any thing else. its called ntfsinfo. exe if you e-mail me I will send it to you as an attched zip file.
Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…