XP does NOT like my scanner!!

AngeTheHippy 21:12 27 Feb 03

Hi guys, I bought an Epson 640U 2 years ago - it's always been a bit on the temperamental side, needing a twain driver I downloaded from Epson as soon as I bought it, then sometimes it wouldn't work so un-installed & re-installed and it worked...ANYWAY, I've been advised to dump it as I've had to format the HDD twice now, after it managed to muck things up somewhat-it's not really XP compatible. Thing is, I don't wanna spend more than about £90, so is there any specific XP-friendly scanners you could suggest?

Gaz 25 21:19 27 Feb 03

Not XP compatable,

May not work then.

Sorry! : (

Djohn 21:26 27 Feb 03

AngeTheHippy, Canon!...

beeuuem 21:32 27 Feb 03

Have you tried the latest twain driver for the 640U?
click here
Twain Driver v5.53A
Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98
epson10231.exe - 2.9MB - posted on 02/15/02
This self-extracting file contains the Perfection 640U driver v.5.53A.
Important: Scanner must be disconnected from computer while installing.
I only suggest this as you say that you downloaded a twain driver 2 years ago.

jazzypop 22:09 27 Feb 03

My HP Scanjet 4400C was immediately recognised by XP, without the need for 3rd-party drivers.

It just sits there obediently and quietly, and eagerly springs into life when asked to.

Scans quickly and quietly, with good colour, definition and resolution, and was dirt-cheap (a PCWorld 'special offer').

I can't really ask for much more from a scanner for my sort of usage.

fullywired23 22:47 27 Feb 03

My epson 640u works with XP. except for the copy facility and I use a alternate program for that dowloaded for free from click here

froggg 00:10 28 Feb 03

hp all in one 750 now less than £100-small footprint,scan & print-and will copy without computer.easy everything-good results

Diver14 09:23 28 Feb 03

The Canon D1250U2 (PC advisor No.1) is on special at PCWorld for £69inc VAT + £3.95 delivery.

I've just bought one for an XP based system and am pleased with it.

No, this isn't a wind up - PCWorld do Sometimes have the odd bargin (but you do have to look very hard!!!!)

AngeTheHippy 18:49 02 Mar 03

Hi Guys, spoken to Epson Friday re. probs I'm having - they suggested I go to their site & d/l the XP-specific driver for the 640U....Yeah, did all that, still XP not happy. I'm gonna try ONE LAST THING before I spend, that's have a word with Evesham support as advised by their showroom earlier today, and take it from there.

misery 19:32 02 Mar 03

Problem with an HP and they suggested going into device manager, find the USB hub and then properties, power management and turn off the tick box telling XP to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". And it worked. However if your on a parallel port, can't help. beebee

silliw 20:25 02 Mar 03

I purchased a Canon N670U from Staples for about £50. Its slim and fits well on top of my CPU case. No problems with XP and the reproduction is great.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…