XP Display settings

dawsonc 11:47 12 Feb 05

A relative of mine has Dell Optiplex 170L with XP Pro, that he managed to infect with Spyware. He spoke with Dell who advised him to reinstall XP. Since he did that his display is all over the place. With the colour scheme all garbled, lines through objects, items missing from the display etc. I tried to reset the display settings but there is only the one coulour scheme (low 8 bit) and one resolution setting (800x600). I wondered if XP had reinstalled corerctly or is it a driver issue ?
Who knows what might have gone wrong, and what to do next. thanks to you all.

Completealias 11:56 12 Feb 05

Looks like a driver issue try windows update to c if there an updated version there and / or find out what graphics card is in there and have a look on the manufacturers site.

If theres any disks that came with the pc you could have a look on them to c if they have the driver for the graphics card.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 12 Feb 05

you will need to reinstall the graphics drivers for the dell. May have come with a CD to include all drivers or may be only re installed as a recovery option.

1. has he got a full XP CD and drivers CD for the machine?

2. or a recovery CD?

groundhog 12:11 12 Feb 05

Intially this sounds like a graphics driver problem

To find out if your Graphics card drivers have been installed correctly or to install new drivers

1 Right click on an empty part of the desktop

2 Select Properties, select settings, select advanced, then select adapter.

This should tell you which graphics card you have installed

3 Next select adapter properties, select driver and this will give you the current driver details.

As you will see, from here you can update your graphics drivers.

dawsonc 18:58 12 Feb 05

I think he has got some CDs with it, so we will try that and let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…