XP Desktop wont start beyond splash screen

Nickelback1 11:39 30 Mar 08

Just turned on my old desktop after a year's rest (It's now a backup machine) & it boots as far as the XP splash screen, a very brief blue screen comes up & disapears so quickly I cannot read it in time & machine re-boots & continues this cycle.
I have tried safe mode & last known working configeration & I still get the same problem.
Any ideas how I can find out what's wrong ?

Diodorus Siculus 11:52 30 Mar 08

Can you go into the BIOS and load default settings; that might allow it to start.

thms 11:53 30 Mar 08

When you press f8 to get to safe mode options.
Select disable automatic restart.
This will allow you to see what the blue screen says.

Also try removing and reseating your memory and graphics cards.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:25 30 Mar 08

got a XP CD?

do a repair install
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Nickelback1 13:10 30 Mar 08

Thanks for the quick response everyone.

thms, followed you instructions @ disabled the auto re-start, Blue screen error is:
Un_Mountable_Boot_Volume.
So what do I do next ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\, I have got the XP disk but have not done a repair yet depending on what you think to the above problem ?
Please advise

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:56 30 Mar 08

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
click here
click here

Nickelback1 17:17 30 Mar 08

OK, none of those worked, so I ended up trying to do a full new install of XP pro.
The system will not do a std re-format - gets to 65% & gets stuck, however it will do a quick format & start to re-install XP.
It loads all the files etc & @ the end when it should boot it faults to:-
Setup cannot see the reqired Windows XP configeration information ?
Any suggestions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 30 Mar 08

You have bad sectors on the hard drive causing corrupted windows files.

Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r if it won't letyou then I'm afraid yuur'e looking at a new hard drive purchase.

Nickelback1 18:53 30 Mar 08

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, will try that.
The disk is partitioned into 4 partitions, what about loading a fresh copy of XP into another one ?

thms 18:56 30 Mar 08

For error message see click here

I don't think this would apply to you if you already had xp installed. Make sure cd is clean and no devices attached and try again.

Though I agree with Fruit Bat/\0/\ it looks like your hdd is looking dodgy.

Nickelback1 07:56 31 Mar 08

Well, finally solved it !
Reduced the size of the C partition to just smaller than the 65% of where it got stuck before, re-formatted & re installed XP
All now works except that bad part of the drive !
One HDD due for replacement ASAP
Thanks for all your help yesterday
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…