XP data packet size in Network Connections icon

CurlyWhirly 10:46 28 Feb 06

When I use the ping command in the RUN command on Windows XP it says that the particular website is being pinged with 32 bytes of data.

Would I be right in thinking that this is an internet 'standard' of data length or can this change when using the internet?

For example in my Network Connections icon I have a packet count as shown below:

click here

If I wanted to have a rough idea of my bandwidth usage would I multiply these figures by 32 to show the approximation in bytes?

p.s. I know I can download a bandwidth monitor to show my usage but I was just wondering if my suggestion would be an alternative way of doing this?

While we are on the subject, from my screenshot you can see that Windows can display the information in either bytes or packets.

Is there anyway to alter this or is this data determined by your ISP rather than Windows or is there some setting somewhere that can be changed as I would rather have the data information displayed in bytes as opposed to packets.

Just curious!

CurlyWhirly 00:27 01 Mar 06

No interest and it isn't an important question so I will close.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…