XP cuts off my internet connection before log-on

hssutton 22:19 21 Feb 03

I have very slow connection speeds and XP cuts me off with the message your ISP has not answered in a timely fashion. is there any way in which I can extend the time allowed by XP so as to allow my ISP to answer.

pcgal 22:46 21 Feb 03

get a faster modem

hssutton 22:57 21 Feb 03

Not very clever, it's Bt thats the problem

Djohn 00:16 22 Feb 03

hssuttonHow long is it taking for your modem to dial in to your ISP, and when you do get a connection, do you know what the speed is?

How much memory have you got and size of CPU?

How many phones are connected to the line and how long is the extention lead to your modem from the main BT point in your house? Oh, and what sort of modem have you got? Internal/external, soft/hard, speed, and anything else you can think of that I may have missed out. J.

hssutton 00:46 22 Feb 03

Hi Djohn
approx 1 minute. connection speed 44.000. 500Mb ram 1100mh athlon. one phone connected. internal win modem. I have just upgaded to XP prior to this I was operating with Win 98 se. apart from the long wait to connect I had no problems. I have just managed to log-on @ 00.40 hrs. Been trying to log on for the past few hours.

HS

Djohn 01:01 22 Feb 03

System specs. are good, so no obvious problem there. Connection speed is a little on low side but still good.

Have you listened to your phone line both with the modem connected to ISP, and also with just a voice call? Is it clear without too much background noise?

Also have you asked BT to check the line?

Check with your ISP to see if they have a different number for dialing into. Can't think of anything else, but don't think it is a hardware problem with the modem, but could be software related.

Check with your ISP and ask them to talk you through the settings for your modem and DUN, this may cure the problem. J.

hssutton 10:53 22 Feb 03

Djohn

Many thanks for all your suggestions. My problems have now been resolved, in desperation I decided to move my modem from PCI slot 5 to PCI slot 4 and "Bingo" I now connect in 35 secs. I'm a little puzzled why moving the card as made the difference, unless the contacts on the modem / PCI slot were dirty. This is a new motherboard and Modem, so maybe it was dirt. Again many thanks for taking time to help me.

HS

Djohn 14:12 22 Feb 03

hssutton Your very welcome, pleased you now have a good connection. J. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…