XP crashing the games party!

j41 18:56 30 Nov 03

Some of my games (MOHAA & Spearhead/RTCW/The Thing) crash two ways on my pc. I used to think they only crashed if the pc had only been running for a short time, I would let the system warm up before playing, but now it happens even when it has been running for hours.

The main crash would produce a screen of vertical fuzzy colours, which could only be cleared by restarting the pc. The second, only crashed the game, and brought me back to the desktop. This second type has only been happening in Spearhead.

Things I have done to eliminate this problem:
1. Upgraded the BIOS
2. Upgraded nvidia drivers.
3. Used driver cleaner to erase traces of old drivers
4. Checked pc internally, including fans, etc
5. Checked voltages and temperatures (except for graphics card, I don't know what programme will give me this)
6. Shutdown all background and system tray programmes, including anti-virus.
7. Run anti-virus (Avast!), Ad-aware 6, Spybot, and Spywareblaster. No problems
8.Uninstalled some unused programmes
9. Used DX8.1 and 9.0/9.0b
10.I do not use a screensaver and do not use the power saving in windows except for the monitor
11. Reduced hardware acceleration
12. Checked DX Diag, no problems found
13. There are no windows error messages

Some things that I have not done:

1. Installed XP SP1 (awaiting delivery of CD-ROM from Microsoft)
2. Overclocked anything!

I do not have crash problems running anything else, except these games. I have no idea what is causing this, but it ahs been happening for many months now, except it used to happen just the odd time. Now it happens all the time!

Can you help?

soy 19:05 30 Nov 03

Have you tried looking/installing any patches that may have been releashed after the game? Try looking on the game developers website.

on XP, the refresh rate is locked to 60Hertz whenever a game is played. Download 'Refreshforce' to fix this issue: click here

See if this helps.

j41 19:58 30 Nov 03

Thanks for the refreshforce.
Due to the different games affected by the same crash, I don't think patches will be much use. Hmmm!

Teen PC geek 20:02 30 Nov 03

How about XP patches?! -i idn't read the whole problem, but if u aint tryed xp patches then try them....

VoG II 20:08 30 Nov 03

Tried repairing XP? click here and click on "How to Run a Repair Install".

j41 20:17 30 Nov 03

Thanks for the info guys.
I have sent for the SP1 ( too long to download with snail 56k).
I don't remember if I have re-installed XP since I started having this problem, if things don't improve soon, I will do it again.

Had a quick go at Spearhead after changing refresh to 85Hz. Didn't crash even when half-track goes over edge of hill. Too early to say though.

Liked the 'How to run a repair install' link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…